CalendarSunday 24 March 2019
Name-dayKatarzyny, Marka, Gabriela
St.Nicholas Affiliated Church
The church has been chronicled in 1248 by Eastern Presbyterians and therefore it is believed that it originates before that time. It is constructed of red bricks and field stones. The roof of the church tower is topped by a lantern with a spire. In 1828 the Evangelical community took the church over by force of a decision of the Prussian king Frederic Wilhelm III. In the middle of the 19th century, the tower was heightened and arms of the transept and a neo-Gothic annexe were added. In 1948 the church was returned to the Roman Catholic parish. During the 1960ies balconies in the transept were removed. Within the passage from the vestibule into the church a Gothic portal closed with a swing door have been preserved. Among the most interesting pieces in the church are:
• Main wooden altar of 1612. It was granted by the then Mayor of Toruń, Walenty Żuława.
More antiques in the St. Nicholas Church...