Urząd Miasta Chełmży

Calendar

Sunday 19 November 2017

Links

Language version

Accessibility options

Name-day

Seweryna, Elżbiety, Maksyma

Navigation

Links

Menu

Intranet

Intranet

Page content

Archaeological Findings


One of the historical sensations of Chełmża took place in the vicinity of the Collegiate Cathedral as well as in the Grodnie lake, in the commune of Chełmża. During archaeological activities different important objects were discovered from the Bronze Era, dated between the eight and seventh century BC, and from the famous Biskupina era, in the early Middle Ages. Many valuable materials relating to the prehistoric as well as early medieval life were found.


The archaeological investigations in the Grodnie lake revealed the wooden constructions of the defensive rampart as well as housing constructions. In the area of the former prehistoric settlement four households, so-called półziemianki, were situated. One of them was the economic centre of the settlement and had the shape of an elongated oval. Numerous findings confirm the presence of two herds. These findings include user articles prepared from animal bones such as antlers. The articles were used for household activities such as weaving and fishery, but as well for the extraction of iron. All in all, these findings learn us that the early settlers of Chełmża was not only dependent from agriculture but dealt as well with animal farming.


Remains of the settlement of Slavic tribes can be find around the Lake Archidiakonka, which was a former land road linking Kujawy to Pomezani. The early findings surely belong to these tribes, which arrived in the current Toruń district as early as the seventh and eight century AD.


On the current terrain of Chełmża are several palaces. The palace in Nawrze was owned by Joseph Kruszyński, who fulfilled clerical functions in the nineteenth century insurgent Polish government. Similar palaces can be find in Pluskowęsach, Brąchnówku as well as in Kończewicach. The large church ruins of Zajączkowie, which were uncovered in 1968 date back to the eight and ninth century. The Gothic church of St. Catherina from 1300, the church of the Holy Virgin Mary in Kiełbasinie from the fourteenth century and also the legendary place of the Bielczynach shrine, where anchestors died in 1260 together fom interesting tourist places.

  • autor: merle&michał, data: 13.07.05

Links

Calendar

No events in the selected period
Miesiąc:
Rok:

Contact details

Urząd Miasta Chełmża   ul. Hallera 2   |   87-140 Chełmża
tel. +48 56 675-22-91
fax +48 56 675-21-22
e-mail: um@chelmza.pl
You are 2177 person on the site

Footer

Copyright Urząd Miasta Chełmża   |   Privacy policy   |   powered by netadmin 7.01

Font size

Version of a high level of contrast

Switch to the page view, high contrast
Back to the default version of the page always when you select the link 'graphical version of the site' in the upper part of the site.